In a recent development following the deadly bombings at the Boston Marathon, the FBI has now released a video and series of photos of two men “suspected” of being involved in the incident. They are believed to have carried bombs in their rucksacks which were left at the scene. Three people died and 176 were wounded spreading fear across the city http://www.fbi.gov/news/updates-on-investigation-into-multiple-explosions-in-boston/surveillance-video-related-to-boston-bombings
The “suspects” … suspect 1 in a dark cap and suspect 2 in a white cap are considered armed and “extremely dangerous”. Law enforcement agencies are calling on the public to help with identification. The advice is that the suspects must not be approached. A number is provided for anyone who may have information… call 1-800-CALL-FBI, 800-225-5334, or visit the web site bostonmarathontips.fbi.gov. No detail is too small.
The Guardian newspaper reports that “the significant development in the case was announced just 74 hours after the attack. Special Agent Rick DesLauriers said the FBI had initially fingered one person of interest and then, through a diligent process of cross-checking, picked out a second man. He said the FBI is working with partner agencies around the world in the case. Video released by the bureau shows the two men walking one behind the other on a sidewalk. DesLauriers said only the images provided by the FBI should be used in attempts to identify the suspects.”
NOW IMAGINE THE FOLLOWING…
In the aftermath of the bombing these two men disappear into a suburb of Boston and return to an apartment to discuss the day’s events. Their home is located within a building inhabited by a number of families all horrified by the devastation to hit their city and the impact on civilians enjoying Patriot’s day and the fun of a sporting occasion.
Meanwhile President Barack Obama has been briefed on the “suspects”. He has their description, their age group and is viewing the limited information on the pair presented to him by investigators… These men are now termed “alleged” terrorists… and he has a process for dealing with such individuals and groups.
The President consults with his advisors, “these guys have picked on the wrong city” he states weighing up the intelligence and deciding whether or not to take action… The decision is made, the two men are added to a special list… Obama will opt for a “targeted killing” from an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV). A targeted killing is “an extra-judicial, premeditated killing by a state of a specifically identified person not in its custody.” The President of the United States (lauded with the distinguished Nobel Peace Prize) has just ordered a drone strike.
Drone operators receive the word… they use the information received and begin to monitor the men on their screens. Suspect 1 and 2 are seen to leave the apartment building… they cross a small park, the area is quiet in the Spring morning… The suspects are now in the crosshairs. It’s clear to fire and the operators begin the procedure to launch a deadly hellfire missile from a Predator drone. An operator locks on to the men and the missile is ready to strike.
At the same moment as the missile is launched towards the two “suspects” in a Boston Park, a woman with a dog and a child enter the picture… a split second decision and oblivion… all are burnt beyond recognition.. .
Drone strike successful!
THERE ARE SEVERAL POINTS TO REMEMBER IN THE ABOVE IMAGINED SCENARIO:-
1) This type of incident happens day after day for real in Yemen, Afghanistan and Pakistan…. Living under Drones: Victims Stories… http://www.livingunderdrones.org/victim-stories/ and My Yemeni Village Attacked By US Drones http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2013/04/yemen-village-drone-attack-wessab.html
2) The two “suspects” are just that at this present time… they have not been through a fair judicial process to determine innocence or guilt.
3) Civilians, a mother, child (and pet dog) not in the vicinity of the bombing would have been annihilated in the drone strike leaving behind devastated relatives fighting for justice and asking why were their family members killed.
4) The victims of the bombing would have been denied justice as they cannot be sure those killed were the actual bombers as there was no fair judicial process followed!
5) Those ordering attacks could at some stage be judged guilty of crimes against humanity. As Obama said himself “any time bombs are used to target innocent civilians it is an act of terrorism”
6) Remember one day armed drones may be used over American soil… if you choose to stay silent on this controversial issue, it is possible that you or your relative could be next in the line of fire…
Howard Zinn said:-
“There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.”
Carol Anne Grayson is an independent writer/researcher on global health/human rights and is Executive Producer of the Oscar nominated, Incident in New Baghdad. She is a Registered Mental Nurse with a Masters in Gender Culture and Development. Carol was awarded the ESRC, Michael Young Prize for Research 2009, and the COTT ‘Action = Life’ Human Rights Award’ for “upholding truth and justice”.